Apply: Waitlists, Special Permissions | UMBC Summer Session
Skip to Main Content


Once a class reaches its seat capacity, it will close and a waitlist will open. Since students often change their schedule, seats may reopen in a closed course during the registration period. You can add your name to waitlists for up to 10 credit hours.

It is your responsibility to check your email account regularly to see if you have been enrolled in a class for which you placed yourself on the waitlist. Waitlists will be disabled on May 29 (session I), and July 9 (session II). Once waitlists are disabled, you should regularly monitor enrollments to see if a seat opens in the course during the schedule adjustment period. Contact the instructor to confirm whether you can make up any missed classes before you add a class during the schedule adjustment period.

How to add your name to a waitlist
  • Use myUMBC to place your name on a waitlist.
  • Check the box Waitlist if class is full when you register.
  • If the class is full and has a waitlist you will be notified of your position on the list. 
  • You will be notified via your email address if you are automatically enrolled in a class from a waitlist.

Special permissions

Due to certain circumstances/situations, you may be blocked when you attempt to register for courses. Please refer to the below list if you are blocked from registration.

Prerequisite override request

You must successfully satisfy UMBC prerequisites to register for courses with prerequisite requirements. If you receive a registration error indicating that you do not have the appropriate prerequisites to enroll in a course, submit a prerequisite override request. A prerequisite override does NOT guarantee enrollment in the course. Once granted permission to enroll, you must register as soon as possible to secure your seat.

Visiting students who attempt to enroll in a course with prerequisite course requirements will initially be BLOCKED from registering. UMBC’s online registration system cannot automatically verify that the prerequisites have been met at a visiting student’s home institution, even when a transcript has been submitted.

Time conflict permission

You are not permitted to register for courses that meet at the same time or overlap in meeting patterns. The registration system will block your enrollment. If there are extenuating circumstances, you may be permitted to register for courses that share a time conflict if the overlap is minimal and BOTH instructors agree to the exception.

How to request permission for a time conflict
Permission to take a course for a third and final time

You may not register for the same course more than two times. You are considered registered for a course if you are enrolled after the end of the schedule adjustment period. You must petition the Office of Undergraduate Education (OUE) for a third and final attempt of a course taken at UMBC [or] another institution. An attempt is defined as enrollment in a UMBC course (or its equivalent at another institution) in which the student has received a grade or an official withdrawal noted on the transcript.

Excess credit approval

You can enroll in up to 16 credits during summer session (8 credits in session I, and 8 credits in session II). Highly motivated and academically strong students may be granted permission to enroll in more than the designated summer course load limit with prior approval. 

How to request approval to enroll in excess credits
  • Download and complete an Enroll for Excess Credit form.
  • Consult with your primary major advisor to verify he/she agrees to approve the additional credits, and obtain your advisor's signature on the form.
  • Email the completed/signed form to the Office of Academic and Pre-Professional Advising at
  • Please allow at least one week for review. Decisions are sent to the email provided on your request.
Financial holds

Students who have outstanding financial obligations to UMBC will be prevented from registering until the account is fulfilled. If your enrollment is blocked, and your past due student financial account balance is less than $250, please contact Student Business Services to discuss your individual situation. More information about paying tuition, fees and other charges is available at Student Business Services.