Registration assistance

Due to certain circumstances/situations, you may be blocked when you attempt to register for courses. Please refer to the below list if you are blocked from registration.

Need permission to take a course with prerequisites

You must successfully satisfy UMBC prerequisites to register for courses with prerequisite requirements. If you receive a registration error indicating that you do not have the appropriate prerequisites to enroll in a course, and you believe that you have satisfied the prerequisite requirement or you are currently taking the prerequisite course(s), submit a prerequisite override request.  Students given advanced permission to register for a course while currently taking the prerequisite course(s) must drop their UMBC summer course if they do not meet the specified prerequisite grade requirement.

Due to increased online activity, the prerequisite override form may take up to a minute to load. For assistance, please contact our office.

Current UMBC students will initially be blocked from registering for Session II courses if taking the prerequisite course during Session I.   If you are enrolled in a Session I course that fulfills the prerequisite requirement for a Session II course, you can obtain a prerequisite override for the Session II course. Contact our office for assistance.  You must drop the Session II course if you do not successfully complete the specified prerequisite grade requirement in the Session I course.

Visiting students who attempt to enroll in a course with prerequisite course requirements will initially be blocked from registering. UMBC’s online registration system cannot automatically verify that the prerequisites have been met at a visiting student’s home institution, even when a transcript has been submitted.  Visiting students attempting to enroll in a class with prerequisites must submit a prerequisite override request before they can register.

A prerequisite override does NOT guarantee enrollment in the course. Once granted permission to enroll, you must register as soon as possible to secure your seat.


Need permission to take more credits

You can enroll in up to 16 credits in summer session (8 credits in session I and 8 credits in session II). Highly motivated and academically strong students may be granted permission to enroll in more than the designated course load limit with prior approval. More information and access to the online Enroll For Excess Credits approval form is available at Enrollment Forms.

Need permission to take a course for a third and final time

You may not register for the same course more than two times. You are considered registered for a course if you are enrolled after the end of the schedule adjustment period.

You must petition the Office of Undergraduate Education (OUE) for a third and final attempt of a course taken at UMBC [or] another institution. An attempt is defined as enrollment in a UMBC course (or its equivalent at another institution) in which the student has received a grade or an official withdrawal noted on the transcript.

Want to take a summer course but applied for spring graduation (current UMBC students)

Current UMBC students who have applied for spring graduation will be blocked from summer session registration. To register for summer session courses, contact the Registrar’s Office, and request to be term activated for summer session.

Need to get rid of a financial hold on my account

Students who have outstanding financial obligations to UMBC will be prevented from registering until the account is fulfilled. If your enrollment is blocked, and your past due student financial account balance is less than $250, please contact Student Business Services to discuss your individual situation. More information about paying tuition, fees and other charges is available at Student Business Services.

Need to take a math placement test

All students are required to take the UMBC Math Placement Test unless they have any course credit or exam scores that would exempt them from testing.

Visiting students who need to take a math placement test to meet math or science course prerequisites should complete an RT ticket and submit it to the Academic Success Center.